Friday, March 9, 2012

Friday night

I often tell Karen on Friday nights to get out our boogie shoes. It's a joke because there is nothing to do up here.

Many years ago I was on a dive trip in Maui. (I was working, alright!) While looking at Pacific fish I'd never seen before it hit me that those fish and that reef are there every day of every year. Even though I never plan to return, beautiful fish are there waiting if I ever do wish to return. They are there. It's up to me to get there.

A similar thought comes to me each Friday night. The French Quarter is there, as loud and festive and alive as ever. It's up to me to get there.

As I sit here around seven PM writing this, my truck is full of gas. The credit card in my pocket could book a room at the Royal Sonesta. Karen would need about 30 minutes to pack. Donna could probably look after Roux, our dog, for the weekend.

It's Friday night. Thrills and joys are mine by eleven tonight. They are there. It's up to me to get there.

Post Script:

The only real vacation Karen and I ever took was to the French Quarter for a weekend. Every other trip had a purpose that drove the agenda, the schedule, and the mission. But on this one trip we had a wonderful time that Friday night. The kind of fun where you ask yourself why we don't do this every night.

Fast forward to five AM Saturday morning. I woke with a near-panic. We had no business being in New Orleans that day and the rest of the weekend. There's work that must be done. We must pack immediately and get back to my office as soon as possible. I have so many obligations and just plain doing the work is the only way to meet those obligations. I consoled myself and agreed with myself that I would at least let Karen sleep until she woke on her on.

Well bless Karen's little loving heart, she didn't buy into my panic at all. "Let's at least go have breakfast first." Fair enough. And maybe one of those champagne orange juice things. Then find a cafe for more coffee to discuss all of the projects. Then on to lunch with maybe a rum drink.  The next thing I know, we're singing along with the band in some club and the sun has long set. "You men are so easy", Yolanda Rabalais once scolded me.

2 comments:

  1. Just get in your car (or boat or plane) and go. You only live once!! Every day is an adventure.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this isn't the point of your post - Jeff, but I'm ready to drink tequila sunrises or mint juleps or long islands on any balcony in NOLA with you and Karen. Make Memories!! Luv You Guys - yr

    P.S. Love the picture on the front page. Please send to me.

    ReplyDelete