Thursday, March 8, 2012

Wildlife

The wildlife here is really incredible.  If only I had a dollar for each time I thought "I wish I had my camera with me!"

Just a few days ago, Jeff came into the kitchen to get me . . . "Quick!  Come see!"  I ran to the porch and there was an otter playing in the front yard.  Before I could even think about my camera, the otter trotted off into the woods.

Here is a link to some pictures on my Facebook page.  Our friend, Paige, took the first half of the pictures and I took the second half.

The picture of the black bear by the food trough has a story.  A few days prior to the picture, we had spilled sunflower seeds just outside the feeder.  Then it rained and made the area and the seeds soft.  We were driving by the feeder, which is about 100 yds from the road, and saw the bear on the ground.  He was a cute little thing!  It was one of those moments when I had my camera and quickly started snapping photos.  The bear wasn't really interested in us, so we watched him for a little while.  He was using his front paws to work the soft seeds into a mash, then eating it.

Jeff urged me to get out of the truck to get a better picture.  My first thought was "no way!" as I'm not too keen on getting attacked by a bear . . . but Jeff urged me on, telling me it would be okay.  Since I trust him (or maybe I am a fool), I got out of the truck and walked a few steps to take more photos.  The bear didn't seem to care.  So I walked a little closer.  And so on . . . and so on . . .

Before I know it, I am closer to the bear than I am to Jeff, still taking pictures.  Funny how brave you become when nothing bad is happening as you try something that, just moments ago, scared you.  I was about 30 yds away from the bear when the bear finally decided I was bothering his mealtime.  He slowly got up and sauntered off into the woods.

I walked back to the truck, quite proud of myself.  Jeff was grinning at me, with his gun by his side (just in case he had to scare the bear away).  And, yes, I was also thankful I was still in one piece.

2 comments:

  1. When I was there last summer, Karen and I were tooling along in the golf cart and spotted a pretty good size black bear. Does Karen stop for us to just check out it out and enjoy a wildlife moment... Oh, but No...she starts driving TOWARD the bear. My first thought at that point, was that Karen had been in the woods toooo long! grin... It was awesome!

    ReplyDelete